Blossom Flower Shops

Blossom Flower Shops

Posted by flowermanager on December 12, 2009 | Last Updated: August 25, 2022 Uncategorized

Poinsettia Toxicity Myth

The poinsettia is the most widely tested consumer plant on the market today, proving the myth
about the popular holiday plant to be false:

– Scientific research from The Ohio State University has proved the poinsettia to be
non-toxic to both humans and pets. All parts of the plant were tested, including the leaves and
– According to POISINDEX, the national information center for poison control centers, a
child would have to ingest 500-600 leaves in order to exceed the experimental doses that found
no toxicity.
– A study by Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University found that
out of 22,793 reported poinsettia exposures there was essentially no toxicity significance of any
kind. The study used national data collected by the
American Association of Poison Control Centers
– The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals reports that keeping this
plant out of the reach of pets to avoid stomach upset is a good idea, however pet owners need
not fear the poinsettia and banish it from their homes for fear of a fatal exposure. The
American Veterinary Medicine Association of America (AVMA), agrees.
As with any non-food product, however, the poinsettia is not meant to be eaten and can cause
varying degrees of discomfort; therefore, the plant should be kept out of the reach of young
children and curious pets.

Poinsettia Toxicity Myth
Poinsettia and Latex Allergies
According to the American Latex Allergy Association , only about 1 percent to 6 percent of the
general population is allergic to latex, and “… one would have to have significant contact with
the poinsettia plant’s latex directly to have an allergic reaction … only a small drop of latex that
can be immediately wiped off of the skin is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.”
The Purdue Plant & Pest Diagnostic Laboratory advises pet owners: “Wash sap off the
animal to prevent further ingestion. Call a veterinarian if the eyes are affected, or if signs do not
resolve in a few minutes.”

Order one today at !